Friday, March 14, 2008

Uh-oh, it's Holi time already

The Start of Holi:

Holi, a spring festival of India, starts in a couple weeks. However, the activities have already begun, and I’ve already been made a victim of Holi

Also known as the Festival of Colors, it’s a holiday that’s marked with much debauchery, including, colored-powered being thrown- well- everywhere.

Now, the colors haven’t started yet. But, the children still have the water balloons and water cannons armed and ready. While walking to work, I had noticed a water fight seemed to be ensuing. It continued for a couple days, until I realize that these water balloons were an early Holi celebration. Luckily, the neighborhood kids has bad aim and I made it home safely. Later that evening while walking to Hindi class, I was attacked and struck- by a water balloon soaking my shirt. Giggling abounded an apartment three stories up.

Startled, I had to laugh at the mischievous trouble-making school-boys.

Holi is a week away. Have managed to talk a dozen or so kids out of throwing water balloons. Excited to see what this festival of colors will bring.

No comments: