Wednesday, March 12, 2008

'Yes, I'm NOT American!'

When chatting with those who have not visited the U.S. or just not as familar with English language dialects, I am bombarded with interesting guesses of my nationality. Irish, British, Australian, Canadian, Swedish, etc.

Most don't guess American and I am almost relutant to admit my true nationality, ( because i'm worried i may encountear hostility).....just a bad case of backpacker nationality envy.

Australians are the most well-travelled nationality in the world. Jumbled after them are the many European nations, and of course Canadians who backpacking around the world seems like a rite of passage for all.

In terms of travel adornments, upon glancing at two Candians backpacks on a sleeper train returning to Delhi, we noticed the blatant Candian decorations. Stickers, sown on patachs of their flag, etc. made it impossible to mistake the two Canadian women for well.... Americans.

I turn to my own bag- there is not God Bless America, or I <3 NY, or flag patch on any of my bags, nor would I ever put one on there. I guess as enveryone wants to make sure they tell their host country where they are from (and that it is most definitely not America), we continue to hide our nationality (or at least make it a tad more subtle).

But hey, maybe they just need to design a cooler American stereotype sticker, and it has nothing to do with politics. :)

No comments: